Serves 1 – 2
- 1½ cups low-fat milk
- 3 tbs low-fat yoghurt
- 1 banana (best if cut up and frozen the night before)
- ¼ cup chopped strawberries, blueberries and raspberries
- 1-2 tbs muesli, oats or Special K
- ½ cup ice
- (Add a tsp. of chia seeds for increased fibre)
Blend all the ingredients together and drink.
Sourdough Tuna Tempters
Serves 1 – 2 people
- 95g can tuna in spring water, drained
- 1/4 red capsicum
- 100g cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Two thin slices of red onion
- 6 whole basil leaves plus extra for garnish
- 2 slices wholegrain sourdough bread
- Light drizzle of olive oil
- Spray a grill pan with olive oil cooking spray and place on a medium–high heat.
- Cook ¼ capsicum, skin down, until skin is black. Seal in a zip-lock bag and set aside.
- Place tuna, cherry tomatoes, red onion and basil leaves in a large bowl; toss to combine and set aside.
- Add sourdough to grill pan (medium-high heat) and cook, turning until toasted.
- Peel skin from blistered capsicum and dispose of skin. Slice into strips, add to mixture and combine.
- Place toast on plate with tuna mixture and additional basil leaves on top, drizzle lightly with small amount of olive oil and serve.
Savoury Corn Fritters
Serves 4 people
- 2 boiled cobs of sweet corn
- 1 sliced shallot or ½ cup of grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans, drained
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 3/4 cup plain wholemeal flour
- 1 cup low fat milk
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- Olive oil cooking spray
Yoghurt and Chive dip
- 1 cup low-fat natural yoghurt
- 1/2 cup fresh chives, chopped
- Pepper to taste
- Boil corn for 20 minutes then cut kernels from cobs and place in a food processor with cannellini beans, shallot or grated zucchini. Process until chopped, but not smooth. Add flour, polenta, milk, cheese and egg and pulse until combined.
- Spray heated frying pan (on medium heat) with olive oil cooking spray. Scoop 1/4 cup of mixture at a time into frying pan and cook until golden on both sides. Repeat until all fritters are cooked and serve with green salad.
- Combine yoghurt, chives and pepper to make dipping sauce.
Grilled chicken with watercress salad
- 400g chicken breast fillets
- 2 asparagus bunches, trimmed
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 bunch watercress (tough stems removed)
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Cut chicken into strips then spray chicken and asparagus with olive oil cooking spray.
- Preheat grill pan over medium heat and grill asparagus until crisp (approx. 4mins) remove and set aside. Grill chicken until cooked through.
- Combine tomatoes, watercress and onion in a large bowl.
- Add grilled asparagus to the bowl with the tomatoes, onion and watercress and toss to make a salad.
- Whisk lemon juice, vinegar, zest and cumin together in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil.
- Divide chicken and salad between four plates and drizzle dressing over the chicken.
Crispy skin salmon and green salad
- 4 salmon fillets, skin on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 bunches rocket leaves
- 2 bunches spinach leaves
- 1 avocado
- 2 tomatoes
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Wash the rocket and spinach leaves thoroughly and combine in a bowl.
- Slice the tomatoes and avocados and combine with the rocket and spinach.
- Add olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice. Set salad aside until salmon is cooked.
- Pat salmon skin with paper towel, lightly drizzle with olive oil and rub a pinch of salt into the skin.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan to medium-high heat. Add salmon and press skin side down into the pan. Cook until the skin is crisp (approx. 5mins). Turn and cook on the other side, cover with baking paper, until cooked to your liking.
- Divide salad between 4 plates, then gently place crispy skin salmon (skin side up) on top of the salad.
Vegetarian Roast Vegetables with Couscous
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 carisma potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 parsnip
- Canola/olive oil spray
- 2 teaspoons mono/polyunsaturated margarine
- 2 capsicums (colours optional)
- 1 onion
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 zucchini
- Sweet chili sauce (amount to taste)
- 2 cups couscous
- 3 cups water
- Handful of spinach leaves
- Peel sweet potato, potatoes, parsnip and carrots and cut to similar sizes. Spray baking tray with canola/olive oil spray. Put cut up vegetables into a tray and spray with canola/olive oil spray. Place tray in a pre-heated 180°C. oven.
- Chop all other ingredients to similar sizes as the potatoes and carrots. Cook the rest of the vegetables in a pan until cooked through. Add the sweet chili sauce (to taste).
- Bring water to the boil in a large saucepan. Take boiling water off the heat; pour in couscous, stir, then cover with a lid for 3mins.
- Fluff couscous and stir in margarine and spinach leaves.
- Place couscous onto four plates with stir-fry vegetables and then add roasted vegetables on top.